Send us news by text, start your message Leigh News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Leigh man rescued from smoke filled home after chicken legs overheat on cooker
11:27am Tuesday 27th August 2013 in News
FIREMEN wearing breathing apparatus rescued a man after he had been overcome by smoke at his home.
The 33-year-old man had attempted to escape the semi-detached property in Hampton Grove, Higher Folds, Leigh, on Sunday night, but had collapsed unconscious in the doorway of an upstairs bedroom.
The man was in a serious condition but paramedics treated him at the scene and he was taken to hospital where his condition improved overnight.
A next door neighbour alerted the emergency services after smelling smoke and fire crew discovered a pan of chicken legs had been left unattended on the cooker and boiled dry.
Crews are due to return to the area today to give advice and offer Home Safety Checks to residents in the area.
Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Councillor David Acton, said: "This man had an extremely lucky escape and it's thanks to the speedy response of our firefighters, the work of paramedics and ultimately the fact that he had a working smoke alarm that he will recover.
"It's so easy to get distracted when cooking but as we have seen, distraction can lead to devastating consequences so I would urge people to stand by their pans at all times."
Watch Manager Mick Callan, from Leigh Fire Station, said: "We were called to reports of smoke coming from a house and when we arrived we were told there might be a child inside.
"Crews in breathing apparatus had to break through one of the windows to open the door and gain access and firefighters started to search the house.
"They found a 33-year-old man unconscious on the landing and brought him out then continued to search the house for the child, but we then found out the child was actually staying somewhere else that night.
"The man was unconscious and in a bad way when he was rescued but paramedics gave him lots of oxygen and he started to improve.
"The paramedics said that if he'd been in the house a minute longer we could have been dealing with a fatality."
Crews used a fan to clear the smoke and hose reel on the pan of food, although the fire had burnt itself.
Leigh fire station watch manager Mick Callan said the property was filled with thick smoke, making visibility difficult as four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus searched for the man trapped inside.
“I don’t think he had much longer. He was very lucky,” said Mr Callan.
After carrying the householder to safety fire service trauma technicians treated him until paramedics arrived.
Comments are closed on this article.