Send us news by text, start your message Leigh News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Reward offered after cats poisoned with anti-freeze
12:30pm Thursday 5th September 2013 in News
A LEIGH man is warning cat owners to be on their guard after two of his pets and two belonging to neighbours had to be put to sleep after being poisoned by anti-freeze.
The four incidents happened last week in the Wigan Road area and police were called when angry owners suffered the anguish of seeing their pets in agony after ingesting the liquid, which they believe could have been deliberately put out for them.
Pet lover Tony Yates, aged 59, of Okell Grove, contacted the Journal after his 14-year-old barred cat Tiger had to be put to sleep by a vet.
“There have been four incidents where myself and neighbours have had cats poisoned and another two cats are missing from nearby Lindow Street,” said an angry Mr Yates, whose other cat, Dougie, a four-year-old black and white tabby, had to be put down on Monday night after suffering the same fate.
“It seems they have been poisoned deliberately by someone who doesn’t like cats.
“If whoever is responsible had seen my cat kicking and screaming in agony they would stop doing this.
“The four dead animals were all treated by MyPetsVets in Twist Lane, Leigh and all had to be put down. The vets told us to report the matter to police because all four had been poisoned.
“We asked if the anti-freeze could have been leaking from a car but the vet said it was unlikely in these quantities. If someone is doing this on purpose they should be ashamed of themselves.”
Mr Yates is offering a reward to anyone who provides information that leads to the successful prosecution of the offender.
Anyone with information should call police on 101.
Comments are closed on this article.