WEST Hull were crowned the inaugural Steve Prescott Foundation Charity Shield winners after seeing off Leigh Miners 24-16 at Stanningley.

It was the National Conference League Grand Finalists who struck first playing with the wind.

A cross-field kick was plucked out of the air by their right winger who touched down in the corner to make it 4-0.

The score was increased to 8-0 when Wests scored their second try, this time in the left corner after some good build-up play.

Despite playing against the wind, Miners had plenty of field position in the first half but with their attack being nowhere near as fluent they found it hard to break down a tough Hull defensive line, their only joy coming when stand off Kieran Eccleston grubber kicked through to pick up and score between the sticks for his first try for his new club. Scott O’Brien converted for 8-6.

The scored stayed the same going into the half-time break with West Hull holding a two-point advantage.

The opening 20 minutes of the second half saw Miners draw first blood, taking the lead for the first time through centre Adam Thomason, who dived over in the right corner to make the score 10-8.

Wests hit back almost immediately after chipping over the top on the last tackle to score to the right of the posts, the kick being converted to make it 14-10 to West Hull.

Miners took the lead for a second time when O’Brien went over from close range, converting his own try to edge Miners in front at 16-14 but that was as good as it got for last year’s cup winners as they squandered decent opportunities by giving away a string of avoidable penalties.

West Hull took full advantage to score back-to-back tries in the final quarter of the match to put them eight points in front. Miners were unable to respond in the closing stages.

This Saturday the first team continue their Tetley’s Challenge Cup campaign with a tough trip to Whitehaven side Kells, kick off 2.30pm.

The reward for the winners will be a shot at professional opposition in round three.