It’s best not to spoil the boss’s night and Leigh’s five-try victory over the 2013 Super League Leaders’ Shield winners was an ideal way for Derek Beaumont to celebrate his 46th birthday.

In truth, Giants rarely looked likely to become party poopers as Centurions’ solid defence and slick attack earned them a second win of the campaign.

One more victory and Leigh will have topped their tally from 2005 when they last mixed it with the big boys.

On current form they could even surpass that total against Warrington at Leigh Sports Village on Thursday night.

Ben Reynolds again showed why he’s preferred ahead of Martyn Ridyard with a try and five goals with further touch downs from: Adam Higson, Jamie Acton, Harrison Hansen and Sam Hopkins.

Acton was certainly in the wars after coming off the bench. He suffered concussion, a cut eye and was later sin binned along with Sebastine Ikahihifo for a punch up at the end of a week when he escaped a ban for a tackle on Joe Burgess at Wigan in the previous fixture.

And after Leigh’s 20-0 whitewash at the World Club champions this latest triumph was the perfect response.

Not that former Centurions favourite Ryan Brierley enjoyed his first return to his old club, roundly jeered every time he went near the ball.

That though was no concern to coach Neil Jukes. “We previewed a lot of what they were going to throw at us and with that we needed to be aggressive as well,” said Jukes.

“We had some good line speed and good contact and we came up with some big plays defensively to keep them from getting the ball down.

“In our attacks, we were stop-start for 55-60 minutes and then brought Micky Higham on and asked him to get the game by the scruff of the neck.

“We then did 12 sets in a row and if we didn’t score, we put them in corners and were disciplined on the back of it.

“We made the game look very easy. But I certainly would have taken 30-0 before the start.”

As much as he praised his team’s effort and application, Jukes also thanked the partisan crowd for roaring its side home.

“This place is a bit of a fortress,” he confirmed. “The North Stand was bouncing against Huddersfield so well done to everyone who turned up.

“Hopefully Sky doesn’t take too many numbers off because we need everyone in force

“When we get them going they are brilliant and are a massive part of what we do.

“But we have to manage our game a little bit better to ignite that flame a bit more often.”

Winger Higson set Leigh on their way with his first Super League try after 15 minutes, goaled superbly by Reynolds from the touchline. Three minutes before half-time Reynolds improved Acton’s latest touch down to double Centurions’ advantage.

Huddersfield, with many of their big hitters restored after the previous week’s 48-8 defeat by Hull FC, had plenty of ball but lacked a cutting edge.

And when Hansen caught Lee Gaskell napping to slide onto Josh Drinkwater’s kick behind the sticks for another six pointer, the win was secured.

Reynolds and Hopkins added further scores and Beaumont’s birthday party had well and truly started.

Match stats:

Hampshire; Higson, Brown, Crooks, Dawson; Reynolds, Drinkwater; Tickle, Higham, Acton, Vea, Hock, Hansen; substitutes: Pelissier, Burr, Hopkins, Green.

Tries: Higson (15), Acton (36), Hansen (70), Reynolds (77), Hopkins (80)

Goals: Reynolds (5)


Gaskell; McGillvary, Cudjoe, Mellor, Murphy; Brough, Brierley; Rapira, Leeming, Ikahihifo, Roberts, Ta’ai, Hinchcliffe; substitutes: Wakeman, Clough, Smith, McIntosh.

Tries: None

Goals: None

Referee: Chris Campbell

Attendance: 6,001