A LIZARD’S heat lamp caused a fire at a Golborne home when it came into contact with wood.

Crews from Leigh and Hindley were called to a house on Church Street following reports of a smoke-logged house at around 9pm on Sunday, December 22, and discovered a fire involving a lizard tank.

Watch Manager Michael Callan said: "A woman arrived home and as she opened the door she could hear the smoke alarm and found the house full of smoke. The heat lamp in the lizard's tank had come into contact with some wood.

"When we got there the fire was out but the house was quite smoky.

"Everyone was already outside but there were some burning embers in the property and a hole burnt in the bottom of the tank. Crews ventilated the house to clear the smoke."

A smoke alarm can provide an early warning to a fire and can be fitted free by Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service as part of a Home Safety Check.

To book a free visit call 0800 555 815 or visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk.