SINCE it first appeared on Saturday, January 31, 1874 the Leigh Journal has played an important part in the development of the district.

Tillotsons’ publication had been preceded by its sister paper the Tyldesley Weekly Journal, which was established on August 30, 1873.

The first Journal office in the district was at 147 Elliott Street, Tyldesley, and the first Leigh office was at 3 Market Place.

The present day office at 44-46 Railway Road opened on July 5, 1907.

It had previously been at 53 Railway Road, next door to the old Leigh Grammar School building, and before that at 119 Bradshawgate.

The Tyldesley office was moved to 3 and 5 Wareing Street in 1875 then in 1896 to 199 Elliott Street.

Atherton had its own office as part of the Leigh, Tyldesley and Atherton Journal which opened in November 1913 at 8 Market Street and in 1953 premises were acquired at 3 Mayfield Street.

The Tyldesley and Atherton offices remained open until the 1980s when advertising and editorial departments were absorbed into the Leigh operation.