ISSUES of the Journal can be found in the most unlikely places.

A glass bottle in the foundation stone at Leigh Infirmary contains among other things a copy of the Journal dated April 28, 1905.

It was placed there by Alderman TR Greenough who laid the foundation stone.

The time capsule also included an extract from the will of Mrs Farnworth of Astley who in 1886 left £1,000 for the erection of a building that ‘would be of benefit to the community’.

The Infirmary was officially opened on October 27, 1906 by Mayor of Leigh Ald WJ Smith and cost almost £17,00 to build.