TWO security companies have been fined after a father-of-three died from carbon monoxide poisoning while working on a construction site.

Liverpool Magistrates' Court heard that Javaid Iqbal was found dead in a portable cabin on Queen Street, Leigh, where he was employed by London-based KK Security Services Ltd as a security guard.

The 29-year-old died on December 6, 2014, after lighting some barbecue coals in a wheelbarrow in an attempt to keep warm while on duty after the site’s generator failed in sub-zero temperatures.

KK Security pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £8,000 with £4,854 costs.

The firm was sub-contracted by Southampton-based Veritas Security Southern Ltd, who also pleaded guilty to breaching the act and was handed a £8,000 fine with £6,220 costs.

Both firms were also ordered to pay a £120 victim surcharge.