JOHN Duffy was critical of a nervous start by his Leigh Centurions team and two game-changing moments as they exited the Challenge Cup at the hands of Huddersfield Giants at Leigh Sports Village.

Leigh trailed 18-0 after 20 minutes and 28-6 early in the second half but after getting back within 10 points their momentum stalled.

Prop Adam Sidlow was sin-binned with 12 minutes remaining and captain Liam Hood lost possession over the try line as Leigh were attempting to complete an unlikely comeback.

"Our start was horrendous, not good enough. I was a bit personal at half time," said Duffy.

"There were a couple of game changers in the second half, Liam Hood over the line with a ripped ball and Sidlow's 10 minutes in the bin was a big call as well.

"I was a bit happier with the second half. We clawed our way back in and showed a bit of grit but we've still got a lot to work on.

"You can't have a play that is off in a game at this level and we've said that from the word go, but we started the game jogging on to passes and running half hearted into collision. You just can't do that at this level.

"With the sin-binning, it was all on the shoulder as he's fallen down, so it wasn't a sin binning. It was a massive call, and so was the Hood incident over the try line as well. The ball got ripped out and Huddersfield ended up with the ball."

Leigh conceded first-half tries to Kenny Edwards, Sam Wood and Jermaine McGilvary and then were forced into a reshuffle as half-back Blake Wallace left the field with a head injury that will see him miss the game against Castleford on Friday.

Jordan Thompson replied with a try but second efforts from Wood and McGilvary early in the second half left it at 28-6.

When debutant Nathan Peats got over and Thompson added a second Leigh were on the front foot but ultimately the points conceded early on cost them dearly.

"We looked very nervous in warm-up," said Duffy.

"I went out to the warm-up for the first time and it was a very nervous atmosphere.

"I don't know whether it's because we're week-in, week-out in the Super League and lads haven't played for that long, but you can't be going into games like we are doing - very quiet and nervous.

"I think if we'd started the game like we did the second half it would have been a lot closer.

"Every week's going to be tough. We've got to hang in for our life really. We knew that this was coming, we knew it was going to be tough every day but we're not dealing with it well enough at the minute."