LEIGH Centurions have done it.

They have finally chalked up a win in their 2021 Super League campaign.

Kurt Haggerty's side defeated Salford Red Devils 32-22 at Leigh Sports Village this afternoon.

Sixteen previous attempts at achieving a victory upon their return to the top flight as replacements for the defunct Toronto Wolfpack all came up short.

Leigh Journal:

Scenes after Liam Hood's try. Pictures: SWpix.com

Leigh Journal:

Leigh Journal:

Leigh Journal:

But after conceding a try in the first three minutes, Leigh settled well and deserved their 14-10 half-time lead before going on to complete the mission with late tries from skipper Liam Hood and Adam Sidlow.

Joe Mellor and Keenan Brand scored the other tries, while Craig Muller landed three conversions and booted over five penalties.

Leigh Journal:

Adam Sidow's try and celebrations. Pictures: SWpix.com

Leigh Journal:

Leigh Journal:

With the home side clinging to a precarious 20-16 lead, hooker Hood, who was recently confirmed as a Wakefield player for next year, burrowed over five minutes from time.

Sidlow then provided extra insurance with a try that sent the home crowd bananas.

Salford, who have still never won a competitive fixture at Leigh Sports Village, were the victims of Leigh’s last regular top-flight win in July 2017.

Leigh made the worst possible start, conceding a try in Salford’s first meaningful attack.

Tui Lolohea’s cut out pass gave winger Rhys Williams a walk-in try by the left corner.

But Centurions, naming new Australian prop Sam Stone at centre for his Super League debut, did not fold.

With regular loose forward James Bell picked at stand-off, he and half-back partner Joe Mellor kept the hosts on the front foot.

Leigh Journal:

James Bell tries to get away for Leigh. Picture: SWpix.com

Quick-thinking Mellor’s kick and chase brought a clever solo response after 19 minutes, improved by winger Mullen.

Leigh Journal:

Joe Mellor on the run for Leigh. Picture: SWpix.com

Leigh were in again four minutes later. After Bell was held up close to the line, Centurions switched their point of attack and Mellor’s pass was touched down by full-back Keanan Brand.

Mullen struck an upright with his conversion attempt but landed a brace of penalties to stretch Leigh’s advantage to 14-4.

Lolohea’s second assist of the half saw Harvey Livett crash over, while Krisnan Inu’s penalty on the stroke of half-time saw him reach a milestone with 500 top-flight points.

Salford’s comeback continued unchecked after the interval as former Leeds playmaker Lolohea completed a hat-trick of assists with winger Ken Sio the latest recipient after 46 minutes. Inu’s touchline conversion restored Salford’s lead at 16-14.

The clash remained on a knife edge with Leigh desperate for victory and Salford fearful of becoming their hosts’ first victims of the season.

Helped by the visitors’ ill-discipline and Mullen’s accuracy from the kicking tee with three more penalties, Leigh led 20-16 going into the final quarter.

Desperate defence denied Ryan Lannon a pushover try as Salford tried to find an equalising score.

But it never came and Leigh’s 12-point burst in three minutes finally put a smile on interim coach Kurt Haggerty’s face even though his side remain bottom of the table.