PROPOSALS for a multi-million pound programme of works to improve road infrastructure are set to be put into place next week.

The projects, funded by developer contributions to offset the impact of house building schemes in Lowton, Golborne and also at the other end of the borough in Standish, total around £8million.

They include major changes to improve traffic flow and boost road safety. This will also include cycling and walking schemes to supplement the borough’s growing sustainable transport networks.

In Lowton and Golborne, the programme of works detail improvements to the A580/Newton Road junction with a new left turn and the A580/Stone Cross Lane, widening Stone Cross Lane to three lanes.

Cllr Paul Prescott, cabinet portfolio holder for transport, environmental services and planning, said: “Throughout this process we have been focussed on delivering schemes that will benefit residents in these communities the most and represent value for money. We have listened to all the feedback received and are confident this scheme of works will be transformational and create a lasting impact.

“We would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the consultation as through this investment of section 106 funding, we have the opportunity to deliver a series of projects that will make a real difference.”

The council conducted an extensive consultation exercise on viable schemes for the infrastructure levy funds in 2021, encouraging feedback from residents and businesses. Large-scale projects that were proposed but have not been taken forward include the widening of School Lane in Standish and changes to Golborne roundabout.

In Standish, works include Market Street pedestrian crossing improvements and cycling and walking links between Standish Mineral Line to Gidlow Lane and the wider network. Rising costs, public feedback to these schemes and other deliverability factors have all been considered, Wigan Council has said.

The maximum money pot for this project in Standish is £2,306,500 and £5,799,633 for Golborne and Lowton. Both of these amounts are 80 per cent of what is available from developers, the other 20 per cent will be allocated to ‘smaller scale’ projects,a report has said.

Wigan Council’s cabinet meets on Thursday, July 7 to make the final decision on these proposals, which have been recommended for approval.