A NIGHTCLUB has ditched an application to sell booze at an event until 4am after police raised concerns about a ’40-man’ brawl outside.

Officers were scrambled to a "large-scale fight" outside the Sky Lounge nightclub, in the Leigh Arms building on King Street, in the early hours of April 2.

GMP said that an affray investigation is ongoing and that a "fire eater" was also outside the premises on April 2. Their report said that this showed "a very poor attitude towards public safety".

READ > Motorcyclist, 29, dies after late night crash

GMP object to club's alcohol request

As bosses at the King Street venue wanted to extend their alcohol licence from 2am to 4am for a weekend event on April 22 and April 23, GMP objected to the request in the interests of the prevention of crime, disorder and public safety. 

Referencing the large scale fight and the fire eater on the premises, the report also mentioned how a "known offender" was seen carrying a metal bar outside the premises in an "aggressive manner" on March 19.

He was later arrested, before going on to assault an officer, the police report read. 

Wigan Council’s licensing sub committee was due to decide on the matter on April 19, but the application was withdrawn at the last minute.

Club put pedestrians and customers 'at risk'

Police said local authorities had not been informed of the act being fired. 

“They had a fire eater on at the pub, who was doing her display on the pavement,” the paperwork read.

“A gentleman who seemed to be in charge, large build, short shaved cut hair, dark trousers and dark grey t-shirt was seen directing people into the road while she was performing on the pavement. 

“He appeared to be getting annoyed when people were trying to use the pavement. On the first occasion, she was by the takeaway and on the second occasion she was near a large bin at the other side of Leigh Arms.”

The report said the incident ‘completely ignored public safety and potentially put pedestrians and customers from their own venue at risk’. GMP cited this – and the fight – as reasons to oppose the hours extension application. 

No decision was made on the temporary extension of the licence as the pub withdrew its application before the meeting was due to take place.