LEIGH Sports Village was plunged into darkness tonight forcing the abandonment of Leigh Leopards’ Super League clash with Huddersfield Giants.

A new date for the fixture had yet to be confirmed at the end of a bizarre and confusing night.

Leigh led 16-12 when the stadium’s lights failed after 48 minutes; winger Josh Charnley touching down twice in the opening period.

That would have established a new club top flight try scoring feat for the popular flyer. But his double could be expunged if the fixture is replayed in its entirety.

Leigh Journal:

Players remained on the pitch and spectators shone phone torchlights before referee Liam Moore took both teams back to the dressing rooms.

Fans were forced to remain on the terraces and in their seats while ground staff tried to locate the problem.

Players drifted back onto the touchline as meetings took place to decide how to proceed.

With spectator safety a priority, the delay lasted around 55 minutes before an official announcement confirmed the abandonment around 10 pm.

It is unclear if the full game will be replayed or just the remaining 31 minutes 58 seconds.

The evening started brightly with athlete Keely Hodgkinson parading her World Championship 800 metres silver medal before kick-off.

And Robbie Mulhern showed an early clean pair of heels to the Giants’ defence before stopped fractions out from the try line.

Tom Briscoe uncharacteristically, dropped Gareth O’Brien’s pass when a try also beckoned while Hardaker was held just short.

But the breakthrough came after eight minutes. Swift ball transference and O’Brien’s kick enabled Charnley to at that stage overtake John Woods’ record of 23 touch downs. Reynolds missed the conversion.

Six minutes later Giants hit back in their first telling attack. Connor shaped to kick on last tackle but instead darted through some lightweight tackling to touch down. Will Pryce goaled to put the visitors in front.

That advantage was wiped out by a 20th minute try of the season contender from Charnley.

Briscoe caught Tui Lolohea’s kick 20 metres out from his own line and raced forward another 40.

Leopards surged from right to left before Oliver Gildart’s pass sent his winger on an arrowing run to the corner. Reynolds goaled from the touchline.

Edwin Ipape thought he’d contributed try number three soon after but a Huddersfield hand knocked the ball free as the hooker went to ground.

Giants lost prop Chris Hill to injury; the ex-Leigh favourite receiving warm applause from the main stand before trudging down the tunnel.

But there was extra daylight for Leopards as Reynolds and Hardaker combined to give Briscoe a stroll in seven minutes before half-time.

Leading 16-6 at the break, Leigh were rattled four minutes after the re-start as Connor climbed highest to gather Lolohea’s kick. Pryce goaled but that was almost the last telling action before the lights failed.

Leigh: O’Brien; Charnley, Gildart, Hardaker, Briscoe; Reynolds, Lam; Amone, Ipape, Mulhern, Hughes, O’Donnell, Asiata; substitutes: Halton, Nakubuwai, Mellor, Wardle.

Tries: Charnley (8, 20), Briscoe (33).

Goals: Reynolds 2/3.

Huddersfield: Pryce; Halsall, Bibby, Naiqama, Marsters; Connor, Lolohea; Hill, Milner, English, Cudjoe, McQueen, Yates; substitutes: Peats, Wilson, Hewitt, Ikahihifo.

Tries: Connor (14, 44).

Goals: Pryce 2/2.

Referee: Liam Moore.

Half-time: 16-6.