TWO men have died following a huge emergency service presence around the canal.

Residents published footage on social media yesterday afternoon (Tuesday, November 28), which showed more than a dozen emergency service vehicles, including police, ambulance, the fire service, boat units, and technical response units.

Police confirmed that they were called to reports of concerns of the welfare of two men, at the Leeds to Liverpool Canal around Crankwood Road between Abram and Leigh.

READ > Police knock suspects off 'stolen moped' in night-time chase

Leigh Journal: Police, paramedics, and fire fighters were all in attendance yesterday afternoonPolice, paramedics, and fire fighters were all in attendance yesterday afternoon (Image: Kyle Parr)

While the men, aged 49 and 60, were immediately rushed to hospital following the rescue operation, police have confirmed that the pair have sadly died.

A Greater Manchester Police spokesperson said: "At 2.15pm yesterday (Tuesday, November 28), Greater Manchester Police were called to reports of concerns for welfare at Crank Wood canal, Abram, Wigan.

"Specialist officers in a multi-agency emergency response attended the location, and two men aged 49 and 60 were taken to hospital for treatment.

"Despite the best efforts of medical staff, sadly both men sadly passed away yesterday afternoon.

"Detectives believe that two men had entered the water and come into difficulty and at this time there are believed to be no suspicious circumstances.

"However, officers are currently working to establish the exact timeline of events leading up to this incident and enquiries remain ongoing."

Speaking about their involvement, a spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) added: “At just after 2.15pm yesterday (November 28), two fire engines from Wigan and Atherton fire stations along with the technical response unit from Ashton and a boat unit from Eccles fire stations assisted colleagues from Greater Manchester Police and North West Ambulance Service with an incident on the Leeds and Liverpool canal off Plank Lane in Leigh.

"Crews were in attendance for around one and a half hours.”