Leigh’s task to reach the Betfred Super League play-offs for a second successive season is that bit tougher after their four-match unbeaten run came to an end. with a 12-0 defeat at Hull KR.

Centre Tom Opacic and Niall Evalds touched down and Mikey Lewis converted both for Rovers whose ninth win of the campaign moved them above Warrington into third on points difference.

In contrast, Leopards remain ninth, five points behind sixth placed Leeds and seventh placed Salford, the latter concluding this latest round of games at home to London Broncos on Sunday.

Adrian Lam’s side also face another three away games before facing Huddersfield Giants at Leigh Sports Village next month.

Leopards had their moments. But Willie Peters’ side has certainly exacted revenge for last season’s Challenge Cup final defeat.

This was their third in a row since Wembley heartache and second of 2024.

With no game now until travelling to Catalans on June 15, Leigh at least have time to re-assess and re-group before resuming a massive second half of the season.

It took Rovers until the 26th minute to make the breakthrough, four minutes after influential Edwin Ipape exited the contest, looking in some discomfort.

New dad Tom Opacic celebrated his family addition and return to the team by touching down despite the attentions of Umyla Hanley and Zak Hardaker.

The final grounding needed confirmation from video referee Aaron Moore before Lewis added the extras.

Jack Hughes held on as Sam Luckley charged for the line but Leopards were forced to drop out after Matt Moylan was tagged behind the posts retrieving Lewis’s grubber.

Jack Broadbent’s stumble and fumble coming off his own line gave Leigh great chance to put points on the board.

Instead, play was held up after a scrum flare up involving Tom Amone and Elliot Minchella; an incident put on report by referee Liam Moore.

Leigh didn’t take advantage of the possession gift and then Jez Litten’s superb cover tackle halted Zak Hardaker’s short range dash for the try line.

A penalty in Amone’s favour led to another Leigh try scoring chance six minutes after the re-start.

But Peta Hiku’s desperate lunge for the ball dislodged it from Ricky Leutele’s possession and an on field ‘no try’ ruling was confirmed via replays.

Leigh then lost Amone to a facial injury before Niall Evalds snuffed out Hanley’s run for the line.

Ipape happily returned, albeit with extra leg strapping, before Matt Parcell’s brilliant break was stopped by Jack Hughes.

With their tails up, Rovers threatened again and only a border line double movement denied Kelepi Tanginoa his team’s second try.

Entering the final quarter, defence on both sides remained watertight with Moylan the latest player to be thwarted.

However, 11 minutes from time ex Salford and Castleford star Evalds touched down to put the Robins in control.

Parcell, Tyrone May, Jai Whitbread and Parcell again linked up to send over Evalds with Lewis tagging on the extras to secure the points.

Teams: Hull KR: Evalds; Broadbent, Hiku, Opacic, Hall; May, Lewis; Sue, Litten, Whitbread, Hadley, Batchelor, Minchella; substitutes: King, Parcell, Luckley, Tanginoa.

Leigh: Hardaker; Hanley, Chamberlain, Leutele, Charnley; Moylan, Lam; Amone, Ipape, Trout, O’Donnell, Halton, Hughes; substitutes: Norman, Dwyer, McIntosh, Baxter.

Tries: Opacic (26) Evalds (69).

Goals: Lewis 2/2.

Referee: Liam Moore.

Half-time: 6-0.