TYLDESLEY dedicated their fantastic 35-34 at high-flying Broughton Park to true club man and president Bill Green, who suddenly and very sadly, passed away last week.

Tyldesley have had a few memorable wins over the years, and this one is up there with the best, given the quality of the opposition, in their own back yard, who comfortably sit top of the table with just one very narrow away defeat all season.

Not many outside the group, would have expected Bongs too get anything from this fixture, a point of any description would have been considered very rewarding; but too come away with a bonus point win, was unbelievable and nothing less, than they fully deserved, after a spirited and determined team display, even when all looked in vain.

All didn’t start well, two tries conceded inside the first ten minutes, had most probably thinking this was going to be very one sided affair.

By the twenty third minute, Bongs had pulled the hosts back, after a Paul Martin penalty and Danny Berrisford try made it a two point game.

Broughton recorded a third unconverted try after charging a Tyldesley clearance kick down, twenty meters out, but Bongs refused to go away and hit back with a second Martin Penalty on the half hour.

Six minutes later Tyldesley hit the front, for the first time after a Mark Dickinson kick, was gathered by Berrisford, who touched down for his and Tyldesley’s second try. Martin added the extra two.

Like all quality sides, Broughton came straight back, and recorded a forth bonus point try, with the half all but up, conversion added. Half time 22-18

Tyldesley started the second period on top, and had the upper hand for the first fifteen, which resulted in a narrowly missed penalty quickly followed with a Dickinson, converted try, giving the visitors the lead for the second time.

With just over an hour gone, Broughton recorded a fifth, but unconverted try, giving them the lead back, and given the next few minutes of pressure, it looked like the visitors gallant efforts was just going to fall short.

Excellent Tyldesley defending, gained two relieving penalties, putting the visitors just outside the hosts twenty two, a few pick and drives later, Damien Twizell, had touched down for a bonus try, conversion missed, putting them back in front, for a third time.

Just five remained, when Dickinson intercepted, twenty five meters out, and touched down, giving Bongs an eight point cushion, but yet again Parks quality shone through, after great handling resulted in converted try.

Just a point, now separated the sides, but Tyldesley remained relatively calm, during the last two minutes, with play ending in the hosts half of the field, as the refs whistle finally brought an end to this very entertaining game which had everything from start to finish.

MOM Rob Jones

Excellent wins for the seconds, who beat Upper Eden 48-0 whilst the thirds came out on top,20-16 in a close contest v Sedgley Park, brought some cheer, on what’s been a tough, tough week at SGP.

Next week Bongs are at home to Leigh, the seconds are away to Oldham.