AFTER three successive defeats, desperate Tyldesley needed a win to kickstart the new year and it finally came at home to West Park on Saturday.

An improved performance and 24-5 scoreline gave them a bonus-point double over the St Helens outfit, having defeated them narrowly at their place back in September.

Both teams contested well throughout an entertaining game but Tyldesley just had the edge on their opponents which resulted in some quality tries and good defending.

Tyldesley started well and dominated early proceedings but couldn’t turn pressure into points, mainly due to some solid defence and a bit of bad luck.

Bongs then got the breakthrough they needed.

After Greg Wilde was stopped just short, a telling pass from Mark Dickinson found Rob Cox who crossed for the first score and Paul Martin converted.

With the half-hour approaching, the hosts crossed for a second after a good forward stint gained yards. Wilde then made a great half break before slipping the ball too Danny Berrisford, who touched down for a good but unconverted team try giving them a 12-0 lead at the break.

Eight minutes into the second period, Bongs gained a third try after excellent pressure resulted in a penalty being awarded. Great awareness from Matt Soulsby caught the visitors napping as a quick tap allowed him to cut through and Tom Egerton was on his shoulder to take a pass before sliding between the posts. Martin added the extra two.

A fourth bonus-point try came after superb interplay between forwards and backs resulted in Lee Davies crossing for a good individual score after an outrageous dummy had opened up the Park defence 10 metres from their line.

West Park, who always posed a threat with ball in hand, touched down with 10 minutes remaining, then rallied via some excellent support plays and strong carries but Bongs defended well – just as they’d done for the majority of the match.

Player of the match was Mark Dickinson.

Meanwhile, a fantastic unbeaten league run, which began with the first game of the 2016-17 season, finally came to an end after Tyldesley’s seconds lost 10-3 at Colne & Nelson.

This weekend, the first XV visit Liverpool St Helens, the seconds host Preston and the thirds entertain Clitheroe.