PETER Mata’utia and Matty Dawson-Jones were sent-off and Jamie Acton yellow carded by referee Chris Kendall as Leigh finished a nine-try Ladbrokes Challenge Cup quarter-final defeat with 10-men.

But it was full-back Mata’utia’s dismissal for a dangerous tackle on Rhinos hooker, Matt Parcell, after only nine minutes that wrecked any hopes of an upset by the Betfred Championship side.

And as frustrations spilled over in the closing stages of an incident packed game, Acton was sin binned for a heated exchange with Brett Ferres while Dawson-Jones was marched for dissent towards the official.

“It didn’t look great live,” said Purtill of Mata’utia’s dismissal as Leigh conceded five tries in 12 minutes after being reduced initially to 12-men.

“We have to be better as a group when it happens. But Peter hasn’t got a nasty bone in him.

“He is one of our leaders and doesn’t need me to tell him it was the wrong thing to do.

“It was a flash of the moment thing and he is deeply upset and he knows he has let himself and the group down.

“We have to rally round him and make sure we get back on track.

“There was a lot of frustration that came out at the end probably with some of the decisions and a bit how we played in the first half and with the sending off.”

Leigh made a dream start taking a 6-0 lead in only four minutes.

Taking advantage of a repeat set from Tom Briscoe’s knock on, Mata’utia and finally Nathan Mason breached the Rhinos’ defence with the big prop

But the contest swung massively in Leigh’s favour only three minutes later.

The damage was done initially by Jordan Lilley’s bomb that Leigh allowed to bounce.

Parcell picked up the loose ball and only to be abruptly upended above the horizontal by Mata’utia, sin binned against Toronto at Summer Bash, giving the referee little option but to brandish a red card.

In the next attack, Lilley provided the pass and Briscoe finished off in the corner. Lilley missed the conversion but Leeds were breathing far easier.

Leigh were rocked by the double blow and it soon got worse as Briscoe took a Jack Walker pass and stepped inside the cover to touch down.

This time Lilley, who played one game on loan at Leigh earlier this season, converted.

Full-back Walker carved open the second tier outfit for Leeds third try He then led a five on one break finished off at the second attempt by Ash Handley giving Lilley another routine conversion.

Leigh, already falling apart, collapsed after 24 minutes as another break, this time spearheaded by Handley, saw Jimmy Keinhorst touch down from Richie Myler’s pass despite limping over the line with a game ending hamstring injury.

Lilley landed a fourth conversion followed quickly by goal number five after Ash Golding cut loose from 30 metres.

Hutchison hit back for the 12-men after 29 minutes. But Leigh were lucky not to be further reduced as Ben Crooks appeared to lead with his elbow into Myler’s face bringing the ball out of his own 10 metres zone.

Myler had the last laugh with a 36th minute try to help Leeds into a 40-12 interval advantage.

The second half was more of an even contest with the Super League champions adding further tries through Cameron Smith and Adam Cuthbertson with Ben Crooks and ex Rhino Liam Hood-his 12th try of the campaign-responding for Centurions.

Leeds Rhinos: Walker; Briscoe, Keinhorst, Handley, Hall; Lilley, Myler; Cuthbertson, Parcell, Oledzki, Ferres, Ward, Ablett; substitutes: Mullally, Smith, Walters, Golding.

Tries: Briscoe (7, 15) Walker (20), Handley (22), Keinhorst (24), Golding (27), Myler (36), Smith (48), Cuthbertson (78),

Goals: Lilley 8/10.

Leigh Centurions: Mata’utia; Dawson, Crooks, Hall, Evans; Reynolds, Hutchison; Acton, Hood, Mason, B Thompson, Hansen, J Thompson; substitutes: Richards, Higham, Baldwinson, Larroyer.

Tries: Mason (4), Hutchison (29), Crooks (63), Hood (71)

Goals: Reynolds 3/4.

Referee: Chris Kendall.

Half-time: 40-12.

Attendance: 3,277.