LEIGH old boys Adam Higson and Bodene Thompson scored two of Toronto’s three tries but the leaders were made to work hard for a fourth successive Betfred Championship victory.

Centurions’ part-timers won the second half 6-4, even playing a man short for 10 minutes, leaving the division favourites clearly relieved to hear the final hooter.

That left Leigh boss John Duffy wondering what might have been after an intriguing 80 minutes in front of the Sky cameras.

“We were outstanding effort wise,” agreed Duffy. “But we let ourselves down when we had good ball in their end.

“It looked unorganised and at times a bit amateurish. Our shifts were poor and we didn’t put them under threat.

“We need to address that because we have a tough fixture coming up a York next Sunday.

“But we played a quality outfit who have spent some money. Toronto won’t go far wrong with that squad.

“So, I am happy with the effort but we need to get better with the ball when momentum is on our side.”

Leigh Journal:

Toronto suffered two early injury set-backs with Tom Olbison and then prized playmaker Joe Mellor going off within the opening 15 minutes.

And Centurions took a deserved 20th minute lead as the Wolfpack continued to test referee Tom Grant’s patience with their indiscipline.

So, when Thompson, one of four ex Centurions in Toronto’s ranks, hit Danny Richardson late, Martyn Ridyard kicked a routine penalty.

Ridyard, playing at full-back in place of injured Gregg McNally, saw plenty of aerial traffic but handled every ‘bomb’ with confidence.

And it was against the run of play when Toronto took a 28th minute lead From only the Canadians’ second penalty Adam Sidlow off loaded and Blake Wallace wriggled through several tackles close to the line to touch down. Gareth O’Brien landed his only successful conversion.

Toronto struck a decisive second blow just before the break. O’Brien’s grubber kick caused panic on Leigh’s left edge and winger Higson eventually applied the vital touch.

Leigh’s task was made even harder when reduced to 12-men after 54 minutes as St Helens half back Richardson was sin binned for a professional foul, trying to prevent a quick Toronto tap close to the home line.

Before Centurions could re-group a swift attack ended with second rower Thompson crossing unopposed. O’Brien’s latest conversion hit a post to leave Leigh only two converted scores behind.

Richardson returned without Leigh having suffered further damage. So, it was game on when Luke Douglas scored, kicking ahead and snapping up the ricochet off Wallace. Ridyard goaled to make it 8-14.

O’Brien, Salford’s 2016 Million Pound Game golden point winner, missed a 73 rd minute drop goal to make sure of the points.

But Wolfpack-despite plenty of Leigh possession, held on to secure their fourth and toughest win of the campaign to date.

Leigh Match stats: Leigh: Ridyard; Marsh, I. Thornley, Bentley, Cox; Woods, Richardson; Ashworth, Higham, Douglas, T Adamson, A Thornley, Brooks; O’Donnell, Cator, L Adamson, Spencer.

Tries: Douglas (66) Goals: Ridyard 2/2 Toronto: O’Brien; Higson, Stanley, Leutele, Rawsthorne; Mellor, Wallace; Sims, McCrone, Springer, Dixon, Thompson, Olbison; substitutes: Ackers, Lussick, Mullaly, Sidlow.

Tries: Wallace (28), Higson (36), Thompson (55) Goals: O’Brien 1/3 Referee: Tom Grant Half-time: 2-10 Attendance: 3,142