JOHN Duffy’s return to Post Office Road proved an unhappy one as Leigh’s lost for the first time in seven games.

Leading 14-12 at half-time Centurions managed only one further score against their top Betfred Championship five rivals.

But Liam Forsyth’s second try of the afternoon, to go with Cory Paterson’s earlier double, came too late to prevent defeat.

It was certainly hard to fathom how Ryan Carr’s Rovers, now upto fourth, had been roundly trounced by Barrow on their previous home appearance.

Duffy, back at Rovers for the first time since masterminding Fev’s 42-10 Championship shield win last October, said: “We didn’t deserve to win.

“Featherstone wanted it that bit more and controlled the ball better than us.

‘We were a bit dumb, especially in the second half. The interception was a dumb play and it cost us.

“You have got to be on it every week and we weren’t this time. We were beaten by the better team.”

Dane Chisholm contributed 10 points in Featherstone’s win including a long-range interception just after the break giving Rovers an advantage they weren’t to lose.

Leigh started promisingly enough with Paterson running a great line to race over after three minutes.

Rovers levelled when Brad Day forced his way through the defence and Chisholm kicked the first of three goals.

Liam Hood’s break down the middle was the prelude to Forsyth going in for his seventh try in five games after 19 minutes.

Rovers threaded several grubber kicks behind Leigh’s try line but apart from forcing one drop out, the tactic brought little profit.

But Rovers did take the lead 10 minutes from half-time. Influential Leeds dual reg full-back, Ash Golding, was prominent in the build- up and Josh Hardcastle’s pass sent Luke Briscoe on 30 metres run to touch down.

Chisholm’s second goal put Rovers in front for the first time.

Referee Scott Mikalauskas was kept on his toes by a number of first half flashpoints and dd well to keep tempers mainly in check.

Leigh threatened to end the half in arrears but Paterson ran the perfect line onto Josh Woods’ pass to double his try tally. Martyn Ridyard failed with his second successive conversion attempt.

Centurions’ advantage only lasted until two minutes into the second half.

Ex Rover Ridyard’s pass was picked off by Chisholm who raced 90 metres to score despite Stefan Marsh’s valiant chase.

Ex Leyther Ben Reynolds, on loan from Wakefield, temporarily replaced Chisholm as kicker, booted a superb touchline goal to make it 18-14.

Despite a run of penalties in their favour, Leigh lacked a cutting edge in attack.

So, when Rovers got a call from referee Mikalauskas, they scored a fourth try through ex Leeds Grand Final winner Josh Walters after 57 minutes, charging through Ridyard’s tackle.

Chisholm goaled and Centurions trailed by 10 until the 78th minute when Forsyth crossed once more. This time Ridyard converted but it proved too little too late.

Match stats:

Featherstone: Golding; Briscoe, Carey, Hardcastle, Dagger; Reynolds, Chisholm; Makatoa, Bussey, Albert, Day, Walters, Lockwood; substitutes: Maskill, Cooper, Harrison, Ormondroyd.

Tries: Day (9), Briscoe ((29), Chisholm (42), Walters (57)

Goals: Chisholm 3/3, Reynolds 1/1

Leigh: McNally; Forsyth, I Thornley, Costello, Marsh; Ridyard, Woods; Douglas, Higham, Thompson, T Adamson, Paterson, L Adamson; substitutes: Hood, Cator, Emmitt, Hock.

Tries: Paterson (3, 38), Forsyth (19, 78)

Goals: Ridyard 2/4

Referee: Scott Mikalauskas

Half-time: 12-14

Attendance: 3,104.