LEIGH Leopards boss Adrian Lam said he was "heartbroken" after seeing victory snatched away from them in the closing stages of the Super League game at Warrington.

The final 16-14 result was tough on the Leopards who were the better team for much of the 80 minutes before falling short late on.

They claimed tries through Josh Charnley, Ben McNamara and Ricky Leutele, with Matt Moylan kicking one goal.

Leigh Journal:

Lam said: "It was very disappointing, I'm heartbroken really as I thought we did enough to get the victory.

"It's the hope that kills you and obviously everybody is really flat after that, the dressing room is flat.

"I have questioned the group on why we couldn't score when we needed to the most because we have been able to do that in my time here to be able to kill games.

"We didn't manage the second half well last week (against Hull KR) and we didn't manage the last 15 minutes here but having said that, if a pass isn't intercepted late on we lead 20-6 and instead they score off the back of that and then find the last try, that's how close it is.

"As disappointed as I am, the lads put so much effort in and haven't got what they deserved.

"We have to stick with the process, no doubting each other or pointing fingers, we are in a strong position on and off the field. There are positive signs and the dressing room is really strong and well connected."

Leigh Journal:

Warrington trailed 14-6 with just 16 minutes remaining but tries from Matt Dufty and Matty Nicholson and a Josh Thewlis conversion saw the Wolves come from behind to claim the two points.

It was tough on the Leopards who were quick out of the blocks and went ahead from their first attack of the game with some crisp passing allowing Leutele to send Charnley over in the corner.

Aggressive defence from the visitors repelled early Wolves advances but Warrington finally found a way through midway through the first half when a Leon Hayes kick was touched down by Fitzgibbon and Thewlis converted.

Leigh's defence continued to impress, though, as some last-ditch tackling kept their line intact.

And Leigh regained the lead eight minutes before half-time when Zak Hardaker collected Umyla Hanley's kick and the centre kicked on again for McNamara to touch down.

Moylan kicked his first goal of the game to give the Leopards a 10-6 half-time lead.

Leigh increased their advantage eight minutes after the restart when Charnley sent Leutele over to open up an eight-point advantage and they looked to be in control of the game.

But the Wolves roared back in the final quarter with tries by Dufty and Nicholson breaking Leigh’s hearts.

Wolves: Dufty; Thewlis, Wrench, King, Ashton; Williams, Hayes; Harrison, Walker, Philbin, Nicholson, Fitzgibbon, Crowther. Subs: Ratchford, Vaughan, Bullock, Powell. 18th player: Holroyd Tries: Fitzgibbon (21), Dufty (64), Nicholson (70).

Goals: Thewlis 2/ 3.

Leigh Leopards: Moylan; Hanley, Hardaker, Leutele, Charnley; McNamara, Lam (captain); Amone, Davis, Mulhern, O’Donnell, Halton, Trout. Subs: Norman, Hughes, Holmes, Dwyer. 18th player: Ed Chamberlain.

Tries: Charnley (3), McNamara (33), Leutele (49).

Goals: Moylan 1/ 3.

Scoring sequence: 0-4, 6-4, 6-10 (ht) 6-14, 12-14, 16-14 Attendance: 10,443.