LEIGH Leopards claimed just their fourth Super League win of the season with a 16-10 triumph at Huddersfield.

The Giants were thumped 46-10 by Warrington to see their Wembley dream ended at St Helens last Sunday but they failed to bounce back against the Leopards.

Adrian Lam's visitors took the spoils with first-half tries from winger Josh Charnley and hooker Edwin Ipape in an ill-disciplined encounter which saw Huddersfield half-back Oliver Russell and Leigh trio Ed Chamberlain, Frankie Halton and Brad Dwyer all sin-binned.

Ian Watson's hosts scored second-half tries through second-rower Sam Hewitt and centre Kevin Naiqama but Leigh held on for the win.

Huddersfield began brightly and went close to opening the scoring in the right corner but winger Elliot Wallis spilled the ball from a pass by Naiqama.

Naiqama sustained a head knock from the subsequent tackle and was replaced by Harry Rushton but was able to return after passing a head injury assessment.

The Giants left out star man Jake Connor following their Challenge Cup defeat and Leigh gradually seized control of the match.

They began to force Huddersfield back towards their own line, with hulking prop Tom Amone making some huge carries with the ball.

The front-rower was denied from close range in the eighth minute by some strong Huddersfield defending.

But the Leopards continued to probe and made the breakthrough in the 11th minute when, on the back of a penalty, they worked the ball out to the left corner where Charnley was on hand to cross the line.

Matt Moylan added a superb conversion to put the visitors 6-0 ahead but Huddersfield steadied themselves and came back strongly.

They forced a number of goal-line drop-outs as Leigh defended superbly to keep their hosts out, with Hewitt denied from close range.

Having survived a period of pressure from Huddersfield, Leigh extended their lead with a penalty from Moylan after a dangerous tackle.

On the half hour, Russell was shown a yellow card for a high tackle and moments later Leigh capitalised on their numerical advantage by scoring their second try.

Ipape displayed his hooking qualities with a superb burst from acting-half which took him past Leroy Cudjoe and Esan Marsters and over the line in front of the noisy travelling supporters.

As half-time approached, Chamberlain was sin-binned for persistent foul play and Halton then followed him for a late tackle on Adam Clune.

Huddersfield upped the tempo after the break and Hewitt went over after taking a short pass from Clune to go over from close range.

The Giants continued to probe and Naiqama broke through Leigh's defence to score late on, with Russell converting before the visitors had Dwyer sinbinned in the closing stages for a trip.