LEIGH Centurions continue to rewrite the history books after battling back to claim a famous 22-18 victory over Salford Red Devils in the fifth round of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup.

Paul Rowley's men went into the game on the back of a club record 20-game winning streak that stretched back to last July.

That run was supposed to end with the visit of Salford Red Devils, but the Centurions did not read the script.

The visitors went into the cup tie in fourth place in the Super League after recording five wins and draw.

But despite taking the lead three times, the top-tier side were unable to shake off Centurions, much to the delight of the majority of the 6,358 fans inside Leigh Sports Village.

Red Devils second row Cory Paterson was put on report in the first few seconds following a challenge on Gregg McNally that left the full-back flat on his back.

Thankfully, he was able to continue and went on to create havoc in the Salford defence alongside hooker Bob Beswick and Leigh’s usual attacking outlets.

French international Theo Fages stepped inside a tackle and surged over to register the opening try for the visitors after nine minutes.

Michael Dobson converted the try, but was forced off after 15 minutes and Salford never recovered their early fluency.

After putting down a couple of opportunities at the other end of the field, Leigh very nearly conceded as Fages offloaded to Nial Evalds only for the young full-back to spill the ball.

Gradually Leigh worked upfield and the influential Beswick sent Tommy Goulden powering over the line.

Martyn Ridyard goaled and a minute later Beswick carved through the Salford middle from his own half and McNally streamed through in support to score his eighth try of the season.

Salford were further depleted after half an hour when Junior Sa'u was injured in an attempt to bring down Tom Armstrong but the Super League side showed their credentials with Fages breaking past Beswick before putting Evalds clear for a try.

Evalds went over again early in the second half before McNally had a try disallowed for Leigh by the video referee.

Centurions were on the back foot and had to hold firm when Harrison Hansen charged 35 metres and Liam Hood was held up on the line.

But the home side equalised 15 minutes from time when Ryan Brierley intercepted a loose pass from Ben Jones-Bishop before racing over from 25 metres out.

Ridyard nudged over the goal and Leigh seized the moment as McNally split the defence before Johnny Pownall collected his low pass to sweep over.

And while Salford threw everything at the home side in the final 10 minutes, Rowley's men hung on to claim a notable victory.

LEIGH CENTURIONS: Gregg McNally, Johnny Pownall, Michael Platt, Tom Armstrong, Liam Kay; Martyn Ridyard, Ryan Brierley; Tom Spencer, Bob Beswick, Jake Emmitt, Andrew Dixon, Tommy Goulden, Sam Barlow. Subs: Greg Worthington (not used), Gareth Hock, Martin Aspinwall, Sam Hopkins.

Referee: Phil Bentham.

Attendance: 6,358.