Time will tell if this was Leigh’s final home fixture as a Super League side until 2019.

Centurions, however, definitely know next month’s Million Pounds game will determine their playing status for next season.

It only remains to be decided if Leigh must face Catalans Dragons or Widnes Vikings at home or away.

This eight try demolition of their Championship visitors improved Leigh’s points for and against difference.

A greater victory margin wouldn’t have flattered Neil Jukes’ side but Gregg McNally’s try after 63 minutes proved to be the final touch down.

“The score line didn’t do us any harm,” agreed Jukes. “But it will be a lot tougher at London Broncos on Friday.

“It wasn’t the polished performance in attack by any means but on a wet night we scored 40 points and might have had 50 or 60.

“It felt a bit clunky at times and we dropped five in the first half with no one near us which stops your rhythm.

“It’s a nervy comp and you have to get your head around it. When we get the opportunities we need to be more ruthless.”

Leigh certainly dictated play and their expansive approach was rewarded with wingers Mitch Brown and James Clare scoring five of the tries.

Brown finished with a hat-trick while Clare took his rally to four in three games since returning from his cruciate knee ligament injury.

Ben Reynolds also touched down but had an off night from the tee with only two successes from six attempts before handing on responsibility to Josh Drinkwater.

In form Clare needed only four minutes to register his latest try while Reynolds started and finished the move for his side’s second touch down 13 minutes later.

Quick ball transference between Pelissier, Reynolds and McNally opened up Halifax for Brown to notch the first of his treble after 30 minutes. Reynolds missed his second kick of the game but Leigh led 14-0.

Halifax, beaten now in all six Middle 8’s encounters, hit back soon after through Mitch Cahalane’s try and Ste Tyrer’s conversion.

Fax were in the ascendancy approaching the end of the first half. But Brown intercepted an error by Ben Johnston before the hooter, racing 60 metres to score. Reynolds’ goal pushed the lead out to 20-6 and the visitors’ optimism was punctured.

Leigh turned the screw early in the second half with Clare’s second try and Harrison Hansen touching down.

Brown and McNally raced over in quick succession just after the hour mark but the expected half century plus points tally never materialised.

And the last failed attack also brought an unwanted ankle injury to Samisoni Langi which has probably ended his campaign.

Match stats Leigh: McNally; Brown, Crooks, Langi, Clare: Reynolds, Drinkwater; Maria, Hood, Tickle, Paterson, Stewart, Burr; substitutes: Pelissier, Richards, Fleming, Hansen.

Tries: Clare (4, 44), Reynolds (16), Brown (32, 40, 60), Hansen (51), McNally (63) Goals: Reynolds (2), Drinkwater (2) Halifax: Saltonstall; Butler, Heaton, Tyrer, Worrincy; Sio, Johnston; Douglas, Moore, Tangata, Grady, Calahane, Fairbank; substitutes: Calcott, Morris, Kaye, Boyle.

Tries: Cahalane (36) Goals: Tyrer (1) Half-time: 20-6 Referee: Chris Kendall Attendance: 4,341