Send us news by text, start your message Leigh News and your send photos and videos to 80360
Blaze at Leigh takeaway caused by deep fat fryer
10:47am Tuesday 10th December 2013 in News
A BLAZE that ripped through a Leigh takeaway was caused by a chip range overheating.
Four people working inside the takeaway managed to escape and call 999 but the fire had already rapidly spread through the two storey building on Railway Road.
Flames ripped through the building after the fat fryer overheated and the oil ignited.
Around 20 firefighters from Atherton, Leigh, Hyde and Hindley fire stations were called the Ali Baba Italian shortly before 11.30pm on Sunday, December 8.
Leigh watch manager James Howard said: "When we arrived on the scene the takeaway was well alight - flames were coming out of the doors and windows and rolling down the front of the building.
"The chip range had overheated and self-ignited and one of the workers had thrown a fire blanket over it but that just caught fire as well. The oil was burning upwards and the flames hit the ceiling.
"We got the fire under control quickly but it took a while after that to get inside and search the building and the property next door to check for further fire spread. We were there for four hours in total then further crews attended to relieve us."
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus fought the fire using two jets and a fan to clear the smoke.
Chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Councillor David Acton, said: "If you have a fire in your home or business our advice is to get out, stay out and call 999. Don't try to tackle the fire yourself, and never go back into a burning building.
"Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher on a hot fat fire - leave the kitchen, close the door behind you, tell everyone else in the building to get out and don't go back inside for any reason."
Comments are closed on this article.